Recently Admitted Transfer Students

Have you already been admitted to the University of Washington? Please see the resources below to figure out next steps. 

  • Pre-Major Admissions

    If you are a transfer student who was admitted to the UW but was not admitted to your intended major, you are classified as a pre-major student.  It is important to consider the following questions as a pre-major transfer student before committing to the UW:

    • How will I be impacted by the University of Washington’s Satisfactory Progress Policy?

    The Satisfactory Progress Policy states that you must declare a major by 105 credits. For many transfer students (especially those who have earned an Associate’s degree and/or transferring 90 credits) this can mean you will need to declare a major in your first or second quarter at the University.

    • Do I need to have an alternate major?  

    If you applied to your major already, and were not admitted or if you plan to apply to a competitive major, it is important you have at least one alternate major in mind.

    • What are my alternate major choices?

    If you decide to come to the UW, it is important that you have at least one alternate major in mind. While in some cases (such as if you are coming to the UW with fewer than 90 credits) you may have the opportunity to reapply to your originally intended major, in many cases you may not have the opportunity to reapply or might be denied again. You can use our list of majors to explore alternate options and find another major on our campus that would be a good fit for you.

    • Am I prepared for my alternate major(s)?

    If there is another major you are interested in pursuing, we encourage you to visit the departmental website to further explore it. It is also important to review the pre-requisites for that major to see if you are close to completing them. In many cases, if you are one or two classes away, you can complete the requirements when you arrive on the UW campus. If you have more than two pre-requisites left to complete, it may be challenging to finish them and still meet the University’s Satisfactory Progress Policy.

    If you are a Washington State Community or Technical College student you can use the UW MyPlan Transfer Planner to see your progress toward any degree at the University of Washington. This information can help you identify how your current credits will fit into a variety of majors.

    • Are my alternate major choices competitive, minimum admission, or open?

    In addition to determining the pre-requisites, when searching for an alternate major you will want to consider whether or not the major is competitive, minimum admission, or open. There are many open and minimum admission majors on campus, but if your alternate major is also competitive, be sure to contact that department to discuss if this major would be a viable option for you and to learn more about the admissions process

  • Advising & Orientation (A&O)

    Unless otherwise stated in your admission materials, all incoming students must attend an A&O session. During this, you will meet with an adviser to register for your first quarter classes, and learn about valuable resources at the UW. Most advisers are unable to meet with new students until they have completed the A&O session, so you can expect this session to be your first time meeting with an adviser.

    To register for a session, please click here

  • Undergraduate Academic Advising

    During your first quarter, we highly encourage students to meet with an adviser, to discuss future course registration and academic plans/goals. If you are still exploring majors, you can meet with a general academic adviser to learn about general education requirements, and the next steps in choosing your academic path.

    Make an appointment today at the Undergraduate Academic Advising website

  • Departmental Advising Contact Information

    If you know your intended major or have already been admitted/declared your major, you are encouraged to meet with your departmental academic adviser for academic assistance.

    To find the contact information of a specific departmental adviser, please click here