- FIGs are groups of 20 to 25 new UW first-year students co-enrolled in a cluster of classes for the fall quarter.
- Transfer FIGs are groups of 20 to 25 new UW transfer students who take one class together for the fall quarter.
- Each FIG includes a section of GEN ST 199, a course facilitated by a FIG Leader, an experienced UW undergraduate who serves as a teacher and mentor.
- The purpose of GEN ST 199 is to help students understand what the UW expects of them, to help students understand what they can expect of the UW, and to take active steps toward maximizing their educational experiences. It is structured around topics such as social issues, diversity, academic planning, campus resources and major exploration.
- FIG Leaders collaborate with each other to plan activities that help fulfill the purpose of GEN ST 199 and support new students as they develop confidence in navigating the UW and Seattle.
Have a student who you think would make a great FIG Leader? Nominate then today! Go to fyp.washington.edu/nominate and tell us how wonderful they are!